Welcome to our comprehensive wide format printers buying guide. Whether you’re a professional photographer, graphic designer, or architect, finding the perfect wide format printer is essential for bringing your creative visions to life. In this guide, we will delve into the key factors to consider when purchasing a wide format printer, such as print quality, speed, connectivity options, and durability. We’ll also highlight top-rated wide format printers that offer exceptional performance and value for money. So, let’s dive in and help you make an informed decision for your printing needs.
? Our Top 5
- Epson printing system is designed to be used exclusively with Epson Genuine Cartridges. Use of non-genuine ink could cause damage not covered under the printer’s ltd. wnty.
- High-speed wide-format printing up to 13" x 19" — PrecisionCore Heat-Free Technology delivers high-speed prints, with 25 black/12 color ISO ppm () and fast first-page-out.
- High-precision printing — accurate dot placement and DURABrite Ultra instant-dry pigment inks for professional-quality prints.
- High-volume reliability for heavy workloads — innovative heat-free technology designed for reliability and reduced downtime.
- Complete duplex solution — auto 2-sided print, copy, scan and fax; plus 50-sheet ADF.
- Main functions of this all-in-one wide-format printer: copy, scan, fax, wide-format printing up to 11x17 inches, wireless printing, AirPrint, 2-sided duplex printing, color touchscreen, automatic document feeder, and more.Operating temperature: 5° to 40° C (41° to 104° F)
- The power of your printer in the palm of your hand: The HP Smart app allows you to easily set up your printer, scan from your smartphone, order toner, and print from the cloud—such as iCloud, Dropbox and Google Drive
- Up to 50% less cost per page than color lasers with fast print speeds up to 22 pages per minute black; support high-volume office printing with a paper input capacity of up to 500 sheets with two 250-sheet paper trays
- Print, scan, and copy in standout color on a variety of paper sizes from letter to 11x17 inches; tap and swipe the color touchscreen, easily manage print, scan, copy, and fax jobs directly at the printer
- Use Original HP 952 & HP 952XL ink cartridges for great result print after print; original HP ink prints up to 2x the pages as refilled cartridges
- OS compatibility: Windows 8, Windows 8.1, Windows 7 , Windows 7 SP1, Windows Vista SP1, Vista SP2, Windows XP SP3 32 bit13; Mac compatibility: Mac OS X v10.6.8 v10.913
- Utilizes Air Print, Google Cloud Print and Pixma Printing Solutions (PPS)
- Fine print head technology (Full photolithography inkjet nozzle engineering)
- High performance 5 individual ink tank system. Auto sheet feeder 150 sheets
- 9600 x 2400 dots per inch maximum print resolution; Print resolution (up to): Black: 600 x 600 dots per inch, number of nozzles: Color: 4,096, black: 1,024, total: 5,120
- Epson printing system is designed to be used exclusively with Epson Genuine Cartridges. Use of non-genuine ink could cause damage not covered under the printer’s ltd. wnty. .What's in the box : Expression Photo HD XP-15000 printer, CD-ROM for product setup, Power cord, 4x Claria Photo HD 312-I ink cartridges (1x Black, 1x Cyan, 1x Magenta, 1x Yellow), 2x Claria Photo HD 314-I ink cartridges (1x Gray, 1x Red), 1 Cleaning Sheet
- Professional ultra HD photo quality get brilliant border less prints upto 13 inches X 19 inches
- Individual 6 color Claria photo HD ink includes red and gray inks for an ultra wide color gamut and enhanced black and white prints. Sound pressure level: Pressure: 49 dB(A)
- Professional projects: Made easy features a 50 sheet rear tray for specialty media, including cardstock (1); Accommodates a variety of paper finishes and border less sizes from 4 inches X 6 inches To 13 inches X 19 inches
- Ultra compact wide format A3 plus printer 30 percent smaller than its predecessor (2); Easily fits on your desktop
- Cartridge-free printing for lab-quality photos, graphics and creative projects — get vibrant colors and sharp text with Epson's high-accuracy printhead and Claria ET Premium 6-color inks; print a 4 x 6" photo in as fast as 15 seconds (4).Product protection you can count on — 2-year limited warranty with registration (10). | Genuine Epson Ink for Genuine Epson Quality― Epson strongly recommends the use of genuine ink to ensure optimal print quality and performance. Use of non-genuine ink could cause damage not covered under the printer’s ltd. warranty.
- Extraordinary media support, including borderless photos up to 13" x 19" — accommodates cardstock, CD/DVDs and other specialty media up to 1.3 mm thick; auto 2-sided printing
- Amazing value — save a ridiculous amount on photos (1) and creative projects with affordable in-house photo printing; print 4" x 6" photos for about 4 cents each vs. 40 cents with traditional ink cartridges (1)
- Save up to 80% with low-cost replacement ink bottles vs. ink cartridges (3) — that's about Dollar-2000 on each set (3), enough ink to print up to 6,200 pages color (5)
- Print up to 2 years (2) — with each included and replacement ink bottle set
? How to choose?
1. Print Size and Resolution
When choosing a wide format printer, the first thing to consider is the print size and resolution. **Print size** refers to the maximum width and length of paper that the printer can handle. This is especially important if you need to print large banners or posters. **Resolution** refers to the number of dots per inch (dpi) that the printer can produce. Higher resolution results in sharper and more detailed prints. Consider your specific printing needs and make sure the printer you choose can accommodate them. For example, if you are a photographer who needs to print high-quality images, a printer with a resolution of at least 1200 dpi would be ideal.
2. Ink Type and Color Gamut
The type of ink used in a wide format printer can greatly impact the quality and longevity of your prints. There are generally two types of ink: **dye-based** and **pigment-based**. Dye-based ink is more vibrant and produces more vivid colors, but it tends to fade faster over time. Pigment-based ink, on the other hand, is more resistant to fading and offers better longevity. Consider the type of prints you will be producing and choose the ink type accordingly. Additionally, consider the **color gamut** of the printer. A wider color gamut means that the printer can reproduce a larger range of colors, resulting in more accurate and vibrant prints.
3. Speed and Productivity
The speed at which a wide format printer can produce prints is an important factor to consider, especially if you have a high volume of printing tasks. **Print speed** is typically measured in pages per minute (ppm) or square feet per hour (sf/hr). Look for a printer that offers a good balance between speed and print quality. It’s also worth considering the printer’s **productivity features**, such as automatic document feeders and duplex printing, which can help streamline your workflow and save time.
4. Connectivity and Compatibility
In today’s digital age, connectivity is key. Make sure the wide format printer you choose has the necessary connectivity options to suit your needs. **Wireless connectivity** allows you to print directly from your computer, smartphone, or tablet without the need for cables. **Ethernet** and **USB** ports are also important for connecting to your network or computer. Additionally, consider the **compatibility** of the printer with different operating systems and software. Ensure that the printer supports the file formats and software you commonly use.
5. Cost and Total Cost of Ownership
Last but not least, consider the cost of the printer and the **total cost of ownership** (TCO). The initial cost of the printer is just one aspect to consider. Take into account the ongoing costs of ink, maintenance, and paper. Some printers may have cheaper upfront costs but require more expensive consumables, while others may have higher upfront costs but lower ongoing expenses. It’s important to find a balance between the initial cost and the long-term expenses to ensure that you are getting the best value for your money.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision when choosing a wide format printer that best suits your needs. Remember to prioritize your specific requirements, whether it’s print size, resolution, ink type, speed, connectivity, or cost.
? What to Look for in a wide format printers?
1. Print Quality and Resolution
When it comes to wide format printers, print quality and resolution are of utmost importance. The ability to produce high-quality prints with sharp details and vibrant colors is crucial for any business or individual looking to create professional-looking posters, banners, or signage. It is essential to choose a printer that offers a high resolution, typically measured in dots per inch (dpi). A higher dpi value means a greater level of detail and clarity in the printed image. Look for a printer with a minimum resolution of 1200 dpi for the best results.
A wide format printer with exceptional print quality and resolution can make your designs stand out and leave a lasting impression on your audience. Whether you are printing photographs, architectural drawings, or marketing materials, the print quality should be your top priority.
2. Print Speed
In addition to print quality, print speed is another crucial factor to consider when choosing a wide format printer. The speed at which a printer can produce prints significantly impacts productivity, especially in a fast-paced business environment. Look for a printer that offers a high print speed, measured in pages per minute (ppm) or square feet per hour (sf/h).
For example, if you frequently need to print large posters or banners, opting for a printer with a high print speed will allow you to complete your projects in a shorter amount of time. This can be particularly beneficial for businesses that have tight deadlines or need to meet quick turnaround times.
3. Versatility and Media Handling
Versatility and media handling capabilities are essential considerations when purchasing a wide format printer. A printer that can handle a wide range of media types, such as different paper sizes, weights, and materials, provides greater flexibility in your printing options.
For instance, if you need to print on various materials like vinyl, canvas, or adhesive-backed paper, make sure the printer you choose can accommodate these media types. Additionally, look for features like roll-to-roll printing or flatbed printing, which allow you to print on different surfaces and objects.
By investing in a versatile wide format printer, you can expand your creative possibilities and cater to a broader range of printing needs, whether it’s for indoor or outdoor applications.
? How we picked?
1. Printer Size and Capacity
When it comes to purchasing a wide format printer, one of the first considerations is the size and capacity of the printer. The size of the printer determines the maximum width of the prints it can produce, while the capacity refers to the volume of prints it can handle.
For businesses that require large-scale prints, such as architectural firms or advertising agencies, a printer with a wider format would be ideal. On the other hand, smaller businesses or individuals who only occasionally require large prints may opt for a printer with a narrower format.
In addition to size, it’s important to consider the capacity of the printer. This refers to the number of prints the printer can produce in a given time period. A printer with a higher capacity would be suitable for businesses that have a high volume of print jobs, while a lower capacity printer would suffice for those with lower print demands.
2. Print Quality and Resolution
The print quality and resolution of a wide format printer are crucial factors to consider. The print quality determines the level of detail and sharpness in the prints, while the resolution refers to the number of dots per inch (DPI) that the printer can produce.
For businesses that require high-quality prints with crisp details, a printer with a higher print quality and resolution is essential. This is particularly important for industries such as graphic design, photography, or fine art, where every detail matters.
To ensure the best print quality and resolution, it is recommended to look for printers that use advanced printing technologies such as inkjet or dye-sublimation. These technologies offer superior color accuracy and image sharpness compared to traditional printing methods.
3. Connectivity and Software Compatibility
In today’s digital age, connectivity and software compatibility are two critical factors to consider when purchasing a wide format printer. The ability to connect the printer to various devices and software platforms allows for seamless integration and efficient workflow.
Look for printers that offer multiple connectivity options such as Wi-Fi, Ethernet, or USB, as this allows for flexibility in connecting to different devices. Additionally, check if the printer is compatible with the software you use for design or printing. This ensures that you can easily transfer files and control the printer settings directly from your preferred software.
As technology continues to evolve, it’s also worth considering printers that offer cloud printing capabilities. This allows you to access and print files remotely, making collaboration and file sharing more convenient.
By considering the printer size and capacity, print quality and resolution, as well as connectivity and software compatibility, you can make an informed decision when purchasing a wide format printer. Remember to assess your specific needs and budget to find the printer that best suits your requirements.
? Frequently asked questions about wide format printers
1. What is a wide format printer and why do I need one?
A wide format printer, also known as a large format printer, is a device that can print on larger paper sizes, typically ranging from 18 inches to 100 inches wide. These printers are commonly used in industries such as architecture, engineering, and graphic design, where printing large-scale visuals is essential.
Having a wide format printer allows you to produce high-quality prints on a larger scale, whether it’s for posters, banners, blueprints, or any other visual material. It gives you the flexibility to create eye-catching displays and stand out from the competition. As an architect, for example, you can easily print and showcase your designs in a more impactful way, impressing your clients with detailed and accurate plans.
2. What should I consider before purchasing a wide format printer?
Before buying a wide format printer, there are several factors you should consider:
– **Printing needs**: Assess the volume and type of printing you will be doing. Do you need to print in color or black and white? Will you be printing mainly on paper or other materials like vinyl or canvas? Knowing your printing needs will help you choose a printer that can handle the required specifications.
– **Print quality**: Look for a printer that offers high resolution and color accuracy. A printer with a wider color gamut will give you more vibrant and true-to-life prints. Consider the ink technology used, such as inkjet or laser, as this can impact the overall print quality.
– **Connectivity and software compatibility**: Ensure that the printer you choose is compatible with your existing software and can connect seamlessly to your computer or network. Look for features like wireless printing and cloud connectivity for added convenience.
– **Cost of ownership**: Consider the initial cost of the printer as well as the ongoing expenses, such as ink cartridges, maintenance, and paper. Look for printers that offer cost-effective printing solutions, like high-capacity ink tanks or eco-friendly printing options.
– **Size and space**: Wide format printers can be bulky, so make sure you have enough space to accommodate the printer in your workspace. Measure the dimensions of the printer and consider any additional accessories or stands that may be required.
By considering these factors, you can make an informed decision and choose a wide format printer that best suits your specific needs.
Last update on 2023-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API