Are you tired of the hassle and noise of traditional gas-powered lawn mowers? Looking for a more eco-friendly and efficient way to keep your lawn perfectly manicured? Look no further! Our comprehensive push lawn mower buying guide is here to help you make an informed decision. From the best brands to the latest features, we’ve got you covered. Whether you have a small backyard or a sprawling lawn, our guide will steer you towards the perfect push lawn mower that suits your needs. Say goodbye to the struggles of maintaining your lawn and hello to convenience and satisfaction!
? Our Top 5
- 4-blade reel mower with a cutting width of 14” and durable 8.5” polymer wheels for maximum maneuverability. Lightweight at only 19 pounds. Reel Lawn Mowers are great for small lawns..Deluxe hand-reel mower ideal for most turf grasses.
- This push lawn mower has an adjustable blade height of 0.5”-1.75”. Capable of cutting grass up to 4 inches tall and is less effective on taller grass.
- Manual grass cutter is environment-friendly alternative to other lawn mowers. This push mower is pollution-free, noise-free, low maintenance, lightweight and easy to use.
- A reel mower uses a cutting action that does not bruise or damage the blades of grass. For best results using a reel push mower, mow no more than 1/3 of the grass blade, so that the roots stay intact.
- Increase the amount of overlap while using your push mower if your lawn reaches a height of 4 inches or more. It’s better to mow smaller amounts more frequently than it is to let the grass get long. Try not reel mower when the grass is wet.
- Single-lever deck adjustment for quickly setting your mow height
- MAXFlow Deck Technology – volute spiral deck design for better airflow and mulching
- Heavy-duty, 16-gauge stamped steel deck
- Durable, one-piece seamless steel deck reduces vibration
- Seven cutting heights from 1.25″ to 3.75″
- ECO FRIENDLY CUTTING – this compact reel mower is great for small yards, and townhomes
- 14inch CUTTING WIDTH – provides scissor like cut and precision
- 5-BLADE – ball bearing steel reel is great for cutting all grass types, even St. Augustine, Bermuda, and Zoysia
- HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT – adjustable from 1.06inch to 2inch
- EASY TO USE – T-style handle with cushioned grip for comfort
- Small push lawn mower with 4-blade reel and 14" cutting width; 8.5" polymer wheels provide optimal maneuverability
- Manual push reel mower with an adjustable blade height of 0.5”-1.75” with scissor-action cut
- 14-in lawn mower blades made of heat-treated alloy steel that stays sharp for years and can be sharpened when necessary
- Planet-friendly alternative to a gas-powered push mower that does not require extensive maintenance, oil, or gas
- Push lawnmower that is low maintenance, lightweight, and easy to use
- Cross-compatible with all SKIL PWR CORE 20 tools, batteries, and chargers
- Up to 30 minutes of runtime on 2 fully charged 4.0Ah batteries (varies based on grass condition and operator technique)
- Includes a 20V 18-inch cordless lawn mower with polymer deck, (2) 4.0Ah lithium-ion batteries, and a dual port charger; Lawn Mower runs on (2) Denali by SKIL Lithium-Ion batteries
- Digital brushless motor delivers efficient, gas-like powerful performance
- Denali by SKIL lithium battery technology delivers 25% longer run time and 2x battery life
? How to choose?
1. Power Source
When choosing a push lawn mower, the first decision you need to make is the power source. There are two main options: gas-powered and electric.
Gas-powered mowers are known for their power and endurance, making them ideal for larger lawns or areas with thick grass. They are also more portable since they don’t require an electrical outlet. However, they do require regular maintenance, such as oil changes and spark plug replacements.
On the other hand, electric mowers are quieter, more environmentally friendly, and require less maintenance. They come in two varieties: corded and cordless. Corded electric mowers provide a consistent power supply but are limited by the length of the cord. Cordless electric mowers, powered by rechargeable batteries, offer more freedom of movement but may have limited battery life.
2. Cutting Width
The cutting width of a push lawn mower determines how much grass it can cut in a single pass. A wider cutting width means you can cover more ground in less time. However, it’s important to consider the size of your lawn and any narrow areas or obstacles that may require a smaller cutting width.
For example, if you have a small or medium-sized lawn with tight corners or narrow passages, a mower with a cutting width of around 20 inches would be more suitable. On the other hand, if you have a large, open lawn, a wider cutting width of 21-24 inches would help you finish the job faster.
3. Cutting Height Adjustment
The cutting height adjustment feature allows you to customize the length of your grass. Different grass types thrive at different heights, so it’s important to choose a push lawn mower that offers multiple cutting height options.
For example, if you have Bermuda grass, which should be cut short, look for a mower that offers a cutting height range of 1-2 inches. However, if you have St. Augustine grass, which requires a longer length, choose a mower that allows you to adjust the cutting height to 3-4 inches.
4. Grass Disposal
Consider how you want to dispose of the grass clippings. Push lawn mowers offer three main options: side discharge, mulching, and rear bagging.
If you prefer to leave the clippings on the lawn to act as natural fertilizer, choose a mower with a mulching capability. This feature finely chops the grass clippings and spreads them evenly on the lawn. If you prefer a clean and tidy look, opt for a mower with a rear bagging feature that collects the clippings in a bag for easy disposal. Lastly, side discharge mowers are ideal for cutting long or wet grass, as they quickly expel the clippings to the side.
Maneuverability is an essential factor to consider, especially if you have a lawn with many obstacles or uneven terrain. Look for a push lawn mower that is easy to maneuver and has features such as large wheels and a lightweight design.
For example, a mower with front-wheel drive is ideal for level lawns, while a rear-wheel drive provides better traction on slopes. Additionally, a mower with a swivel front wheel or a zero-turn radius feature can make it easier to navigate around trees, flower beds, and other obstacles.
By considering the power source, cutting width, cutting height adjustment, grass disposal options, and maneuverability, you can confidently choose the perfect push lawn mower that suits your specific needs. Remember to prioritize your lawn’s requirements and your personal preferences to make the best choice for a well-maintained and beautiful lawn.
? What to Look for in a push lawn mower?
1. Engine Power and Type
When looking for a push lawn mower, the engine power and type should be one of your primary considerations. The engine is responsible for powering the blades and propelling the mower forward, so you’ll want to ensure that it has enough power to effectively cut through your grass. The engine power is typically measured in horsepower (HP), with higher HP indicating a more powerful engine.
In addition to power, you’ll also need to consider the type of engine. There are two main types: gas-powered and electric. Gas-powered engines tend to be more powerful and are better suited for larger lawns, while electric engines are quieter and more environmentally friendly. However, electric mowers may be less powerful and require a nearby power source, limiting their range.
2. Cutting Width and Height Adjustment
The cutting width refers to the width of the path the mower will cut with each pass. A wider cutting width will allow you to cover more ground in less time. However, a wider cutting width may also make it more difficult to maneuver the mower around obstacles, such as trees or flower beds. Therefore, it’s important to consider the size and layout of your lawn when choosing a cutting width.
In addition to cutting width, you’ll also want to consider the height adjustment options. Different types of grass require different cutting heights, so it’s important to choose a mower that offers a wide range of height adjustments. This will allow you to achieve the perfect length for your specific type of grass.
3. Durability and Maintenance
Durability and maintenance are important factors to consider when purchasing a push lawn mower. You’ll want to choose a mower that is built to last and can withstand regular use. Look for mowers with sturdy construction and high-quality materials.
Regular maintenance is also essential to keep your mower running smoothly. Some mowers may require more frequent maintenance, such as oil changes or spark plug replacements. Others may have features that make maintenance easier, such as a washout port for easy cleaning.
Overall, finding the right push lawn mower requires careful consideration of factors such as engine power, cutting width and height adjustment, and durability and maintenance. By taking the time to research and compare different models, you can find a mower that meets your specific needs and ensures a well-manicured lawn.
? How we picked?
1. Researching the Best Push Lawn Mowers
When it comes to purchasing a push lawn mower, it’s important to do your research to ensure you make the best choice for your needs. With so many options on the market, it can be overwhelming to determine which one is right for you. That’s why we’ve taken the time to carefully research and analyze the top push lawn mowers available.
Our team of experts has scoured through customer reviews, conducted extensive product testing, and compared features and specifications to bring you a comprehensive guide to help you make an informed decision. We understand that everyone has different preferences and requirements, so we’ve considered a range of factors to cater to various needs.
2. Evaluating Performance and Durability
One of the most crucial aspects we considered in our selection process was the performance and durability of each push lawn mower. We wanted to ensure that the mowers we recommend are not only efficient in cutting grass but also built to withstand the test of time.
We looked for features such as powerful engines, efficient cutting blades, and sturdy construction that can handle different terrains and grass types. For example, the Honda HRX217K5VKA received rave reviews for its exceptional cutting performance and durability. One satisfied customer stated, “This mower effortlessly cut through thick and tall grass, leaving a clean and even finish. I’ve had it for years, and it still runs like new!”
3. Considering Ease of Use and Maintenance
Another important factor we considered was the ease of use and maintenance of each push lawn mower. We understand that not everyone is an expert when it comes to lawn care, so we wanted to recommend mowers that are user-friendly and require minimal maintenance.
Features such as adjustable cutting heights, easy-start engines, and hassle-free maintenance systems were given priority in our selection process. The Greenworks 25022 stood out in this regard, with its user-friendly design and simple maintenance requirements. A satisfied customer commented, “I love how easy this mower is to use. It starts with just a push of a button, and the height adjustment is a breeze. Plus, the maintenance is minimal, which is a huge plus for me!”
By thoroughly researching, evaluating performance and durability, and considering ease of use and maintenance, we have curated a list of the best push lawn mowers available on the market. Whether you have a small or large lawn, our guide will help you find the perfect mower to keep your yard looking pristine.
? Frequently asked questions about push lawn mower
1. What types of push lawn mowers are available on the market?
There are several types of push lawn mowers available to suit different needs. The most common types include gas-powered, electric, and reel mowers. Gas-powered mowers are known for their power and versatility, making them ideal for larger lawns with thick grass. Electric mowers, on the other hand, are more environmentally friendly and quieter, making them suitable for smaller lawns. Reel mowers, also known as manual mowers, are perfect for those seeking a more traditional and eco-friendly option.
2. What should I consider when choosing a push lawn mower?
When selecting a push lawn mower, it’s important to consider factors such as lawn size, terrain, and personal preferences. For small to medium-sized lawns, electric or reel mowers are often sufficient, while gas-powered mowers are better suited for larger areas. Additionally, the type of terrain you have, such as slopes or uneven surfaces, should be taken into account to ensure the mower’s maneuverability. Lastly, consider your personal preferences regarding noise level, maintenance requirements, and environmental impact.
3. How do I maintain a push lawn mower?
Proper maintenance is crucial for keeping your push lawn mower in optimal condition. Regularly sharpening the blades, cleaning the undercarriage, and changing the oil and spark plugs are essential tasks. It’s also important to check the air filter, fuel lines, and wheels for any signs of wear and tear. **Remember, a well-maintained mower will ensure a clean and even cut, promoting a healthier lawn.**
4. Are push lawn mowers safe to use?
Push lawn mowers can be safe to use if proper precautions are taken. Always wear closed-toe shoes, eye protection, and long pants while operating a mower. Clear the lawn of any debris before mowing to prevent potential hazards. Furthermore, it’s crucial to read and understand the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings. **By following these safety guidelines, you can enjoy a hassle-free mowing experience without compromising your well-being.**
5. Can I use a push lawn mower on wet grass?
It is generally not recommended to mow wet grass with a push lawn mower. Wet grass tends to clump together, clogging the mower’s blades and reducing its efficiency. Moreover, mowing wet grass can result in an uneven cut and damage to your lawn. **For the best results, wait until the grass is dry before using your push lawn mower.**
Last update on 2023-12-03 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API