Welcome to our comprehensive buying guide for laptops for students. As technology continues to play a vital role in education, finding the perfect laptop is essential for every student’s success. Whether you’re a high schooler, college student, or even a graduate, we understand the importance of finding a laptop that meets your academic needs while staying within your budget. In this guide, we will walk you through the key factors to consider when purchasing a laptop, including performance, portability, battery life, and affordability. So, let’s dive in and help you make an informed decision that will enhance your educational journey.
? Our Top 5
- 【14" HD Display】14.0-inch diagonal, HD (1366 x 768), micro-edge, BrightView. With virtually no bezel encircling the display, an ultra-wide viewing experience provides for seamless multi-monitor set-ups
- 【Processor & Graphics】Intel Celeron N4120, 4 Cores & 4 Threads, 1.10 GHz Base Frequency, Up to 2.60 GHz Burst Frequency, 4 MB Cahce, Intel UHD Graphics 600, Handle multitasking reliably with the perfect combination of performance, power consumption, and value
- 【RAM & Storage】8GB high-bandwidth DDR4 Memory (2400 MHz), Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once. 64GB high-speed eMMC Storage for your office and webinar needs
- 【Ports】1 x USB 3.1 Type-C ports, 2 x USB 3.1 Type-A ports, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack, and there's a microSD slot
- 【Windows 11 Home in S mode】You may switch to regular windows 11: Press "Start button" bottom left of the screen; Select "Settings" icon above "power" icon;Select "Activation", then Go to Store; Select Get option under "Switch out of S mode"; Hit Install. (If you also see an "Upgrade your edition of Windows" section, be careful not to click the "Go to the Store" link that appears there.)
- [High Speed RAM And Enormous Space] 20GB high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once; 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 Solid State Drive allows to fast bootup and data transfer
- [Processor] Intel Core i3-1115G4 Processor (2 Cores, 4 Threads, 6MB Intel Smart Cache, Base clock at 3.0 GHz, Up to 4.1 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology) with Intel UHD Graphics
- [Display] 14" FHD (1920 x 1080) Non-touch LCD Display
- [Tech Specs] 1 x USB-A 2.0, 2 x SuperSpeed USB-A 3.2, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo, 1 x HDMI, 1 x AC Power Port, 1 x 4-in-1 Card Reader; Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth
- [Operating System] Windows 11 Home-Beautiful, more consistent new design, Great window layout options, Better multi-monitor functionality, Improved performance features, New videogame selection and capabilities, Compatible with Android Apps
- 【Strong Performance】 Powered by the Intel Celeron N4120 processor, this laptop delivers smooth performance for everyday tasks, whether you're working on spreadsheets, browsing the web, or streaming content.
- 【Stunning Visuals】 Experience efficient and reliable performance with the HP 14 Business Laptop. Featuring a sleek and portable design, this laptop is perfect for professionals on the go. The 14-inch HD display offers crisp visuals, making it ideal for work and entertainment.
- 【Efficient Multitasking】 With 8GB of RAM, you can effortlessly switch between applications and handle everyday tasks with ease. The generous storage capacity of 192GB (64GB eMMC + 128GB SD Card) provides ample space for your files, documents, and multimedia.
- 【1-Year Microsoft Office 365】 Microsoft 365 (1-Year) is pre-installed. The latest versions of: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (Publisher and Access are available on PC only). offers convenience, flexibility, and access to powerful tools that can help individuals be more productive and organized.
- 【Windows 11 and Other Supports】 You may switch to regular windows 11: Press ''Start button'' bottom left of the screen; Select ''Settings'' icon above ''power'' icon;Select Update & Security and Activation, then Go to Store; Select ''Get'' option under ''Switch out of S mode''; Hit Install. (If you also see an ''Upgrade your edition of Windows'' section, be careful not to click the ''Go to the Store'' link that appears there.). 1 Year Warranty.
- 【Upgraded to 32GB memory for full-power multitasking】 Plenty of high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run your games and photo- and video-editing applications, as well as multiple programs and browser tabs all at once.
- 【Upgraded to 1TB SSD】Provides massive storage space for huge files, so that you can store important digital data and work your way through it with ease. It gives you enormous space to save all of your files.
- 【Intel Core i5-1135G7】4-Core, 8 Threads，Base Clock 2.4GHz，Max. Boost Clock Up to 4.2GHz. Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- 【15.6" HD Touchscreen Display with Webcam&Mic】15.6-inch diagonal HD SVA BrightView micro-edge WLED. Webcam with Mic. Bundled with LIONEYE Mousepad
- 【Connectivity】1 HDMI Outputs, 2 USB 3.0 Type A Ports, 1 USB 3.0 Type C Port 【Windows 11】
- 🥇【14" HD Display】14.0-inch diagonal, HD (1366 x 768), micro-edge, BrightView. With virtually no bezel encircling the display, an ultra-wide viewing experience provides for seamless multi-monitor set-ups. HP True Vision 720p HD camera with integrated dual array digital microphones, provides video chat with vibrant clarity, even in low light. Meet your office, online class and webinar needs.
- 🥇【Processor & Graphics】Intel Celeron N4120, 4 Cores & 4 Threads, 1.10 GHz Base Frequency, Up to 2.60 GHz Burst Frequency, 4 MB Cahce. Intel UHD Graphics 600, Handle multitasking reliably with the perfect combination of performance, power consumption, and value.
- 🥇【RAM & Storage】16GB high-bandwidth DDR4 Memory (2400 MHz), Adequate high-bandwidth RAM to smoothly run multiple applications and browser tabs all at once. 64GB high-speed eMMC Storage for your office and webinar needs.
- 🥇【Ports】1 x USB 3.1 Type-C ports, 2 x USB 3.1 Type-A ports, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack, and there's a microSD slot. HP Fast Charge: Go from 0 to 50% charge in approximately 45 minutes, and 11.5 H battery life for you to work or study anywhere.
- 🥇【Windows 11 Home in S mode】Experience the most secure Windows ever built with fast boot times, increased responsiveness, and added protection against phishing and malware.
? How to choose?
1. Portability and Size
When choosing a laptop for students, one of the most important factors to consider is portability and size. Students are often on the go, carrying their laptops between classes, libraries, and study sessions. Therefore, it’s crucial to choose a laptop that is lightweight and easy to carry. A compact size is also essential for fitting into backpacks or small study spaces. Look for laptops with a screen size between 11 to 14 inches, as they strike a good balance between portability and usability.
2. Performance and Speed
A laptop with good performance and speed is essential for students who need to multitask and run demanding applications. Look for a laptop with a fast processor, such as an Intel Core i5 or i7, as it will provide the necessary power to handle tasks efficiently. Additionally, a laptop with ample RAM, preferably 8GB or more, will ensure smooth multitasking and quick program loading times. Remember, a sluggish laptop can hinder productivity and cause frustration during important study sessions or projects.
3. Battery Life
Battery life is another crucial factor to consider when choosing a laptop for students. After all, students may not always have access to power outlets during long lectures or study sessions. Look for a laptop with a battery life of at least 8 hours, as this will allow students to work without worrying about running out of power. Additionally, laptops with fast-charging capabilities can be a great advantage, as they can quickly recharge during short breaks between classes.
4. Storage Space
Storage space is an important consideration for students, as they often need to store large amounts of documents, projects, and multimedia files. Opt for laptops with at least 256GB of storage, as this will provide enough space for basic needs. However, if the student plans to store a large media library or work with resource-intensive software, consider laptops with 512GB or even 1TB of storage. Additionally, laptops with solid-state drives (SSDs) are preferable, as they offer faster data access and boot times compared to traditional hard drives.
5. Connectivity Options
In today’s digital age, connectivity options are essential for students. Look for laptops that offer a variety of ports, such as USB-A, USB-C, HDMI, and an SD card reader. These ports will allow students to connect external devices, such as printers or projectors, and easily transfer files between devices. Additionally, laptops with built-in Wi-Fi 6 capabilities will provide faster and more reliable internet connections, ensuring seamless online research and collaboration.
Remember, choosing the right laptop for students is a decision that should be made carefully. It’s important to consider not only the immediate needs of the student but also their future requirements. By considering factors such as portability, performance, battery life, storage space, and connectivity options, students can find a laptop that will serve them well throughout their academic journey.
? What to Look for in a laptops for students?
1. Performance and Processing Power
When it comes to choosing a laptop for students, one of the most important factors to consider is the performance and processing power of the device. A laptop with a powerful processor and ample RAM will ensure that students can smoothly run multiple applications and handle resource-intensive tasks such as video editing or coding. Look for laptops with at least an Intel Core i5 or AMD Ryzen 5 processor, and 8GB of RAM. This will provide enough power to handle everyday tasks and ensure a lag-free experience.
For example, the Dell XPS 13 is a popular choice among students for its powerful performance. With its Intel Core i7 processor and 16GB of RAM, it can handle demanding tasks with ease.
2. Portability and Battery Life
As students often need to carry their laptops around campus or between classes, portability is another important factor to consider. A lightweight and compact laptop will be easier to carry in a backpack and won’t weigh students down. Additionally, a long battery life is crucial to ensure that students can work on their assignments without constantly worrying about finding an outlet to charge their laptops. Look for laptops with a weight of around 3 pounds or less, and a battery life of at least 8 hours.
The MacBook Air is a prime example of a portable laptop with excellent battery life. Weighing just 2.8 pounds and boasting up to 12 hours of battery life, it is a great choice for students on the go.
3. Storage and Connectivity Options
When it comes to storage, students often require a laptop with ample space to store their assignments, projects, and multimedia files. Look for laptops with at least 256GB of storage, as this will provide enough room for all your files without sacrificing performance. Additionally, having multiple connectivity options such as USB ports, HDMI, and an SD card reader can greatly enhance the laptop’s versatility and allow students to easily connect to external devices or projectors.
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is known for its generous storage options, with configurations offering up to 1TB of SSD storage. It also features a variety of connectivity options, including USB-C and HDMI ports.
In conclusion, when looking for a laptop for students, it is important to prioritize performance and processing power, portability and battery life, as well as storage and connectivity options. By considering these factors, students can find a laptop that meets their needs and enhances their academic experience.
? How we picked?
1. Budget-friendly options
When it comes to laptops for students, we understand that budget is often a major concern. That’s why we have carefully selected a range of budget-friendly options that offer great value for money. These laptops may not have all the bells and whistles of high-end models, but they are more than capable of meeting the basic needs of students, such as browsing the internet, word processing, and multimedia consumption.
For example, the Acer Aspire 5 is a fantastic budget option that offers a powerful performance for its price. It features an AMD Ryzen 5 processor, 8GB of RAM, and a 256GB SSD, making it perfect for multitasking and storing documents and files.
2. Durability and portability
As students are always on the go, it is important to choose a laptop that is both durable and portable. We have taken this into consideration and selected laptops that are built to withstand the rigors of student life, while also being lightweight and easy to carry around.
The Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon is a prime example of a durable and portable laptop. It is made from carbon fiber, which not only makes it incredibly lightweight, but also resistant to scratches and dents. With a weight of just 2.4 pounds, it is perfect for students who need to carry their laptop from class to class.
3. Performance and versatility
While budget and portability are important factors to consider, we also understand the need for a laptop that delivers strong performance and versatility. Students often have to juggle multiple tasks at once, such as running resource-intensive software, editing videos, or gaming during their downtime.
The Dell XPS 15 is a powerhouse that offers both performance and versatility. With an Intel Core i7 processor, 16GB of RAM, and a dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 graphics card, it can handle demanding tasks with ease. Whether you’re editing videos, designing graphics, or playing games, the Dell XPS 15 has got you covered.
In conclusion, our laptop selection for students takes into account their budget, durability, portability, performance, and versatility. By offering a range of budget-friendly options, durable and portable laptops, and high-performance machines, we aim to help students find the perfect laptop to support their academic and personal needs.
? Frequently asked questions about laptops for students
1. What are the key features to consider when buying a laptop for students?
When shopping for a laptop as a student, there are several important features to consider. Firstly, **portability** is crucial, as students often need to carry their laptops around campus. Look for a lightweight and compact design that can easily fit into a backpack. Additionally, **battery life** is essential for those long study sessions without access to a power outlet. Aim for a laptop with at least 8 hours of battery life to ensure it can last through a full day of classes.
Another important factor to consider is the **performance** of the laptop. Students often need to multitask, running several applications simultaneously, so a laptop with a fast processor and ample RAM is recommended. This will ensure smooth performance and minimize frustrating lag. Moreover, **storage capacity** is crucial for students who need to store large files, such as research papers and multimedia projects. Opt for a laptop with at least 256GB of storage, or consider models with expandable storage options like SD card slots or USB ports.
2. Is it better to choose a Windows or Mac laptop for students?
The choice between Windows and Mac laptops ultimately depends on personal preference and specific needs. While both operating systems offer their own unique advantages, it’s important to consider factors such as **compatibility**, **software availability**, and **budget**.
Windows laptops generally provide a wider range of software options and are often more affordable than Mac laptops. They also offer greater compatibility with various devices and peripherals. On the other hand, Mac laptops are known for their sleek design, user-friendly interface, and seamless integration with other Apple devices. They are often favored by creative students, such as those studying graphic design or video editing. However, Mac laptops tend to be more expensive than their Windows counterparts.
Ultimately, it’s important to choose a laptop that suits your specific needs and budget. Consider the software you will be using, the compatibility with other devices, and your personal preferences before making a decision.
Last update on 2023-11-27 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API