Welcome to our comprehensive electric snow throwers buying guide! If you’re tired of the back-breaking labor of shoveling snow during the cold winter months, an electric snow thrower might just be your saving grace. With their powerful motors and efficient design, these machines can effortlessly clear snow from your driveway, walkways, and sidewalks. In this guide, we’ll explore the top features to consider when purchasing an electric snow thrower, including power, clearing width, throwing distance, and ease of use. Whether you’re a snow removal novice or a seasoned pro, our guide will help you make an informed decision and find the perfect snow thrower to tackle winter’s worst.
🏆 Our Top 5
- [VERSATILE]: Ideal for quick snow pickups on small to mid-sized driveways and walkways
- [MAINTENANCE-FREE]: No gas, oil or tune-ups make it effortless to start and maintain
- [POWERFUL]: 13-amp motor moves up to 550 lbs of snow per minute
- [2-BLADE AUGER]: Cold and abrasion-resistant plastic auger cuts 18 in. wide by 8 in. deep with each pass
- [WE’VE GOT YOU COVERED!]: Your new snow thrower is backed by the Snow Joe + Sun Joe Customer Promise. We will warrant new, powered products for two years from the date of purchase. NO QUESTIONS ASKED. Contact Snow Joe + Sun Joe customer support at 1-866-766-9563 for further assistance.
- [VERSATILE]: Ideal for quick snow pickups on mid-sized driveways and walkways
- [POWERFUL]: 15-amp electric motor moves up to 25 tons/hr. Of snow and clears a 22-in x 13-in path in a single pass
- [LED LIGHTS]: 2 x 1.5 W LED lights facilitate night-time snow removal
- [STEEL AUGER]: All-steel auger cuts 22 in. Wide by 13 in. Deep path with each pass
- [RECOMMEND]: We do recommend customers use a certain gauge and length extension cord. Do not use extension cord over 100 ft (30 m)
- 13 amp motor delivers powerful results for gas alternative
- Adjustable 180 degree directional chute makes snow throwing manageable ; Easy electric start for hassle free operation
- Discharge snow up to 20-feet. 7-inch wheels for greater mobility
- Only works on 120 volts ; 20-inch clearing path and 10-inch clearing depth
- ELECTRIC POWERED SNOW THROWER - This Residential/Light Commercial capable Snow Thrower Shovel is designed for all DIY or Professional applications; Capable of delivering 10" x 5" (inch) deep clear path, efficiently and quick; Built to meet residential/commercial grade quality standards and provide dependable performance
- GEARHEAD SPECS - This Snow Thrower has a powerful 20V all electric motor capable of removing snow and providing a 10" inch Wide x 5" inch Deep path, powerful enough to move 300lbs of snow per minute, while capable of a Max Throwing distance of 25' feet, making the job quick, efficient and easy
- SUPERIOR UNIQUE FEATURES - At the push of a button this lightweight and compact electric shovel allows for easy operation and the Adjustable Ergonomic Handle allow for comfort of use and the Curved Dual Auger Blades make quick work of snow clearing, while saving you the time and labor, without breaking your back
- SAFETY and BEST APPLICATION - Always wear the appropriate eye and hand protection, DO NOT submerse the Snow Thrower in water/liquid; Works great for quick snow jobs around the house on hard surfaces like: Patios/Decks, Sidewalks, Driveways, Walkways, Steps, Entryways and other residential areas
- Earthwise snow blower with 12" clearing width, 3.5" clearing depth, 25' snow throwing distance
- Powerful 20-volt cordless electric snow thrower with a brushless motor; 4Ah battery and charger included
- Reliable battery snow thrower that moves 300 lbs of snow per minute
- Ergonomic auxiliary snow blower handle and dual-blade auger
- Earthwise cordless snow thrower that is lightweight and easy to use on decks, sidewalks, and driveways
🤔 How to choose?
1. Power and Clearing Capacity
When choosing an electric snow thrower, one of the first factors to consider is its power and clearing capacity. The power of a snow thrower is typically measured in amps, with higher amp ratings indicating a more powerful machine. A higher power rating allows the snow thrower to handle heavier and wetter snow more efficiently. Additionally, the clearing capacity refers to the width and depth of snow that the machine can handle in a single pass.
For example, the Snow Joe SJ623E Electric Single Stage Snow Thrower boasts a powerful 15-amp motor and a clearing width of 18 inches, making it suitable for clearing heavy snowfall on medium-sized driveways and walkways.
2. Corded or Cordless
Another important consideration is whether to choose a corded or cordless electric snow thrower. Corded snow throwers are typically more powerful and have unlimited runtime, but they require an electrical outlet and can be limited by the length of the cord. On the other hand, cordless snow throwers offer greater mobility and flexibility, but their runtime is limited by the battery life.
For instance, the Greenworks 2600402 Pro 80V 20-Inch Cordless Snow Thrower provides the convenience of cordless operation with a powerful 80V battery, allowing for up to 45 minutes of runtime to clear a large area before recharging.
3. Maneuverability and Ease of Use
When clearing snow, maneuverability and ease of use are crucial factors to consider. Look for features such as adjustable handles and chute control, which allow for comfortable operation and precise snow throwing. Additionally, consider the weight and size of the snow thrower, as a lighter and more compact machine will be easier to maneuver, especially in tight spaces.
The EGO Power+ SNT2102 21-Inch 56-Volt Cordless Snow Blower is known for its excellent maneuverability, thanks to its lightweight design and easy-to-use controls. Its adjustable handle height and chute control allow for effortless operation, even in deep snow.
4. Durability and Build Quality
Investing in a durable and well-built electric snow thrower is essential for long-term use and reliability. Look for snow throwers made from high-quality materials such as sturdy steel frames and durable augers. Additionally, check customer reviews and ratings to gauge the overall build quality and performance of the machine.
The Snow Joe iON18SB-HYB Hybrid Single Stage Snow Blower is praised for its durable construction, featuring a steel auger and robust housing that can withstand heavy use and harsh winter conditions.
5. Additional Features
Lastly, consider any additional features that may enhance your snow clearing experience. Some electric snow throwers come equipped with LED headlights, allowing for safe operation in low-light conditions. Others may have heated handles to provide comfort during extended use. These extra features can add convenience and functionality to your snow clearing routine.
The Toro 38381 18-Inch 15 Amp Electric 1800 Power Curve Snow Blower stands out with its built-in LED headlights, providing visibility and safety during early morning or late-night snow clearing sessions.
In conclusion, when choosing an electric snow thrower, consider factors such as power and clearing capacity, corded or cordless operation, maneuverability and ease of use, durability and build quality, as well as additional features. By carefully considering these factors, you can find the perfect electric snow thrower that meets your specific needs and ensures efficient and hassle-free snow clearing.
💡 What to Look for in a electric snow throwers?
1. Power and Clearing Capacity
When looking for an electric snow thrower, one of the most important factors to consider is its power and clearing capacity. This determines how efficiently and effectively the machine can remove snow from your driveway or walkway. The power of an electric snow thrower is typically measured in amps, and a higher amp rating usually indicates a more powerful machine.
For smaller areas with lighter snowfall, a lower amp rating of around 10 to 12 amps may be sufficient. However, for larger areas or areas with heavy snowfall, a higher amp rating of 15 to 20 amps or more would be more appropriate. It’s important to choose a snow thrower with enough power to handle the specific snow conditions in your area.
2. Clearing Width and Depth
Another important consideration when choosing an electric snow thrower is the clearing width and depth. The clearing width refers to the width of the path that the machine can clear in a single pass, while the clearing depth refers to how deep the snow can be cleared.
A wider clearing width allows you to clear a larger area in less time, while a greater clearing depth ensures that even deep snow can be effectively removed. The clearing width and depth should be chosen based on the size of the area you need to clear and the average snowfall in your area.
3. Ease of Use and Maneuverability
The ease of use and maneuverability of an electric snow thrower are also important factors to consider. Look for features such as adjustable handles, ergonomic grips, and lightweight construction to ensure that the machine is comfortable to use for extended periods of time.
Additionally, consider the maneuverability of the snow thrower. Look for features such as easy-turning wheels or a swivel chute that allows you to easily change the direction in which the snow is thrown. These features can make the snow thrower easier to handle and navigate, especially in tight or narrow spaces.
In conclusion, when looking for an electric snow thrower, it’s important to consider factors such as power and clearing capacity, clearing width and depth, as well as ease of use and maneuverability. By carefully evaluating these aspects, you can choose a snow thrower that is well-suited to your specific needs and snow conditions, ensuring efficient and effective snow removal.
🔍 How we picked?
1. Power and Performance
When it comes to choosing an electric snow thrower, power and performance are crucial factors to consider. The ability to clear snow efficiently and effectively is the main purpose of this machine, so it is essential to select one that can handle your specific needs.
A key consideration is the motor power, which is typically measured in amps. Higher amp ratings generally indicate more powerful machines that can handle heavier snowfall and thicker layers of snow. For instance, a snow thrower with a 15-amp motor will have more throwing capacity than one with a 10-amp motor.
Another important aspect of power and performance is the throwing distance. This refers to how far the snow can be thrown after it is cleared. Look for a snow thrower that can throw the snow a sufficient distance, ideally between 20 and 30 feet. This ensures that you can clear large areas without having to repeatedly throw the snow to the same spot.
2. Clearing Width and Depth
The clearing width and depth determine how much snow can be cleared with each pass. A wider clearing width means you can cover a larger area in less time, while a greater clearing depth allows you to tackle heavier snowfall. Consider the size of your driveway or walkway to determine the appropriate clearing width for your needs.
For example, if you have a wide driveway, a snow thrower with a clearing width of at least 20 inches would be ideal. On the other hand, if you have a narrow walkway, a smaller clearing width of around 12 to 15 inches may be sufficient.
Additionally, adjustable clearing depth is a useful feature, as it allows you to adapt to different snow conditions. Being able to adjust the height of the snow thrower’s scraper bar or auger can make a significant difference in its performance.
3. Ease of Use and Maneuverability
When it comes to snow throwers, ease of use and maneuverability are essential for a stress-free snow-clearing experience. Look for features that enhance convenience and make operating the machine effortless.
One important feature is an electric start button, which eliminates the need for pulling a cord to start the machine. This is especially beneficial in cold weather when traditional pull starts can be challenging.
Another factor to consider is the snow thrower’s weight and size. Opt for a lightweight and compact model that is easy to maneuver and store. This is particularly important if you have limited storage space or if you need to transport the snow thrower to different locations.
Additionally, features such as adjustable handles and 360-degree chute rotation can significantly enhance maneuverability, allowing you to easily navigate around obstacles and change the direction of the snow discharge.
By considering power and performance, clearing width and depth, as well as ease of use and maneuverability, you can confidently select the perfect electric snow thrower to meet your specific needs. Remember to prioritize your unique requirements and preferences to find a machine that will make snow clearing a breeze.
💬 Frequently asked questions about electric snow throwers
1. What is an electric snow thrower and how does it work?
An electric snow thrower is a convenient and efficient machine designed to clear snow from sidewalks, driveways, and other outdoor areas. It relies on electricity to power its motor, which in turn rotates an auger or impeller to scoop up and throw snow away. This type of snow thrower is perfect for residential use, as it is lightweight, easy to maneuver, and produces little to no emissions.
2. What are the advantages of using an electric snow thrower?
There are several advantages to using an electric snow thrower. Firstly, they are typically more affordable than their gas-powered counterparts. They are also quieter, making them ideal for use in residential areas where noise restrictions may apply. Additionally, electric snow throwers require minimal maintenance and do not require the hassle of mixing fuel or changing oil.
3. Are electric snow throwers powerful enough to handle heavy snowfall?
Yes, electric snow throwers are capable of handling various amounts of snowfall, including heavy snow. However, it’s important to note that the clearing capacity of electric snow throwers may vary depending on the model. Some models can handle up to 12 inches of snow, while others may be better suited for lighter snowfalls. It’s always a good idea to check the specifications of the snow thrower to ensure it meets your specific needs.
4. Can electric snow throwers be used on uneven terrain?
Electric snow throwers are generally designed for use on flat and level surfaces, such as driveways and sidewalks. While they can handle some uneven terrain, it’s important to exercise caution when using them on slopes or rough surfaces. If you have a particularly uneven or hilly area, it may be best to consider a different type of snow removal equipment or opt for a model specifically designed for uneven terrain.
5. Can electric snow throwers be used on wet or icy snow?
Electric snow throwers are most effective when used on dry or powdery snow. While they can handle some wet or icy snow, it may require more effort and multiple passes to effectively clear the area. In such cases, it’s recommended to clear the snow as soon as possible to prevent it from becoming compacted or frozen.
Last update on 2023-10-01 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API