Welcome to our comprehensive buying guide for Atmos receivers. If you’re a true home theater enthusiast, you know that achieving the perfect surround sound experience is crucial. And that’s where Atmos receivers come in. These innovative devices take your audio to new heights, quite literally, by adding a vertical dimension to your sound system. In this guide, we’ll walk you through everything you need to know about Atmos receivers, from the top features to consider to the best options available on the market. So, whether you’re a seasoned audiophile or simply looking to elevate your movie nights at home, let’s dive into the world of Atmos receivers and discover the immersive audio experience they offer.
🏆 Our Top 5
- CINEMATIC SOUND AT HOME: Enjoy your favorite movies, TV shows and more with theater like sound in the comfort of your home
- BREATHTAKING AUDIO: Dolby Atmos and DTS:X deliver multi-dimensional and object-based surround sound
- STUNNING 4K QUALITY: 4K HDR pass through with support for Dolby Vision, HDR10, and Hybrid Log Gamma provides greater and clearer color, contrast, and brightness
- GET CONNECTED: 4 in/1 out HDMI each and 1 optical / 1 coaxial digital and analog audio connections
- AUTO CALIBRATION: Advanced D.C.A.C. analyzes and adjusts the audio for optimal sound in every room
- 160 watts per channel
- Supports 4K/60p and HDR (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, BT.2020)
- 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos and DTS:X playback
- Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer and DTS Virtual:X
- AccuEQ with subwoofer EQ and AccuReflex
- HIGH-PERFORMANCE 7-CHANNEL AMPLIFIER WITH NEXT-GEN MOVIE IMMERSION - Enjoy Denon sound in movies, games, and music with full 3D audio support, Dynamic HDR, QMS, HDCP 2.3 & advanced video processing for the best 4K home theater (8K ready when you are)
- ADVANCED 8K HDMI VIDEO SECTION - 3 dedicated 8K inputs and 1 output (8K/60Hz and 4K/120Hz pass-through; 8K upscaling on all 6 inputs). Supports 4:4:4 Pure Color Sub Sampling, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision & HLG for exceptional color, contrast, and clarity
- MULTI-DIMENSIONAL AUDIO - In addition to Dolby Atmos, DTS:X and DTS Virtual:X, the AVR-X1700H also supports Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization Technology that creates virtual height effects even without the height channels for a truly immersive experience
- AWARD-WINING ON-SCREEN QUICK SETUP GUIDE walks you through simple, clear instructions to connect your TV, specify EQ settings and helps you optimize your surround sound. The back-panel is laid out with color-coded connections that makes organizing simple
- MULTI-ROOM, MULTI-SOURCE STREAMING, watch a movie in one room while another family member streams music from popular services like Spotify, Pandora, Amazon Music HD, and more via Wi-Fi, AirPlay 2, or Bluetooth in a different zone, without interruption
- DTS:X PLAYBACK. Dolby Atmos and DTS:X is the next-generation audio codec from DTS that leverages object-based audio to enable new immersive and interactive audio experiences.
- BLUETOOTH COMPATIBLE. Seamlessly connect your phone, tablet or PC and stream to the receiver with Bluetooth Wireless Technology. This smart receiver remembers your device and starts playback whenever it detects an incoming Bluetooth audio stream.
- DOLBY ATMOS. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer provides an immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect without employing additional surround or height speakers. 5.1.2ch Dolby Atmos.
- PERSONAL PRESET. Press the personal preset button on the front panel for three seconds and your current settings such as volume level and listening mode. Up to three presets can be registered and called up from the front panel button or remote control.
- RANGE CONTROL. With this unique mid-range sound control feature, you can make independent volume adjustments to the range including dialogues in films, with the up/down key on the remote control.
- SONOS COMPATIBLE. This Onkyo receiver can join your existing Sonos Home Sound System, or start a new one, by pairing with a Sonos Connect. The AVR ties into the Sonos ecosystem, waking, changing inputs and playing at the desired volume from the Sonos app.
- SMART AVR. This is the heart of your entertainment system. Stream from Amazon Music, Pandora, Spotify, TIDAL, Deezer and TuneIn to share sound as part of a multi-room system. Works with Sonos, Chromecast built-in, AirPlay 2, DTS Play-Fi and FlareConnect.
- GOOGLE CHROMECAST. Cue, play, and control music playback by voice with your Google Assistant smart speaker. Control playback with Chromecast-enabled apps from your iPhone, iPad, Android phone or tablet, Mac or Windows laptop or Chromebook.
- DTS ATMOS. Dolby Atmos Height Virtualizer provides an immersive listening experience, creating a virtual surround and height effect. Dolby Atmos and DTS formats provide advanced sound mapping so effects move from speaker to speaker. 5.2.2-ch Dolby Atmos.
- THX CERTIFIED SELECT. Take movie night to the next level. THX Certified Select guarantees the same reference volume level of a commercial theater in rooms where the viewing position is about 10–12 feet from the screen. 210 W/Ch THX Certified Select.
🤔 How to choose?
1. Compatibility: Ensuring Perfect Integration
When choosing an atmos receiver, the first thing to consider is its compatibility with your existing audio setup. Look for receivers that support the audio formats you plan to use, such as Dolby Atmos or DTS:X. Additionally, check if the receiver is compatible with the devices you plan to connect, such as gaming consoles, Blu-ray players, or streaming devices.
2. Power and Channel Configuration: Unleashing the Full Potential
The power and channel configuration of an atmos receiver play a crucial role in delivering an immersive audio experience. Consider the size of your room and the level of audio performance you desire. A higher power output, measured in watts per channel, ensures a more dynamic and impactful sound. For example, a 7.2.4-channel configuration provides a more enveloping experience compared to a 5.1-channel setup.
3. Connectivity Options: Versatile Integration
Having a range of connectivity options is essential to ensure seamless integration with various devices. Look for receivers that offer multiple HDMI inputs and outputs, as well as other inputs like analog, digital, and USB. This allows you to connect a wide array of devices and future-proof your setup. Additionally, receivers with built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth enable wireless streaming from your mobile devices or online music services.
4. Room Calibration and Setup: Tailoring the Sound to Your Space
To achieve the best audio performance, consider receivers that offer advanced room calibration and setup features. These features analyze your room’s acoustics and automatically adjust the audio settings for optimal sound quality. For example, **Audyssey MultEQ XT32** is a popular room correction technology that measures the room’s characteristics and adjusts the receiver’s settings accordingly. This ensures that the audio is tailored to your specific space, compensating for any acoustic shortcomings.
5. User Interface and Ease of Use: Simplifying the Experience
A user-friendly interface and intuitive controls can greatly enhance the overall experience of using an atmos receiver. Look for receivers with clear and well-organized menus that make it easy to navigate and access various settings. Some receivers even offer smartphone apps that allow you to control and customize the audio settings from your mobile device. This adds convenience and flexibility to your setup, allowing you to fine-tune the audio experience effortlessly.
By considering these factors, you can choose an atmos receiver that seamlessly integrates with your existing audio setup, delivers powerful and immersive sound, offers versatile connectivity options, optimizes the audio for your specific room, and provides a user-friendly experience. Remember, a well-chosen atmos receiver can take your home theater experience to new heights, enveloping you in a world of breathtaking sound.
💡 What to Look for in a atmos receivers?
1. Sound Quality
When it comes to choosing an Atmos receiver, sound quality should be your top priority. After all, the main purpose of an Atmos receiver is to deliver an immersive audio experience. Look for receivers that support high-quality audio formats such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X, as these formats provide a more realistic and dynamic sound experience. Additionally, pay attention to the receiver’s power output and the number of channels it supports. A receiver with more channels will be able to deliver a more immersive audio experience. For example, the Denon AVR-X4500H is a popular choice among audio enthusiasts, as it supports up to 11.2 channels and delivers powerful and precise sound.
2. Connectivity Options
In today’s digital age, connectivity options are crucial when choosing an Atmos receiver. Look for receivers that offer a wide range of connectivity options, such as HDMI inputs and outputs, USB ports, and Bluetooth connectivity. HDMI inputs and outputs are essential for connecting your receiver to various devices, such as gaming consoles, Blu-ray players, and streaming devices. USB ports are convenient for playing music directly from a USB drive, while Bluetooth connectivity allows you to wirelessly stream music from your smartphone or tablet. The Yamaha RX-A3080 is a great example of a receiver that offers excellent connectivity options, with 7 HDMI inputs, 3 HDMI outputs, and built-in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth.
3. User-Friendly Interface
A user-friendly interface is essential for a smooth and hassle-free user experience. Look for receivers that have intuitive menus and easy-to-navigate settings. Some receivers even offer smartphone apps that allow you to control the receiver from your mobile device, providing added convenience. The Onkyo TX-NR696 is praised for its user-friendly interface, with a simple and straightforward menu system that makes it easy to adjust settings and customize your audio experience.
In conclusion, when shopping for an Atmos receiver, prioritize sound quality, connectivity options, and a user-friendly interface. By considering these factors, you can ensure that you make an informed decision and choose a receiver that will provide an immersive and enjoyable audio experience.
🔍 How we picked?
How We Picked?
1. Researching the Market
When it comes to buying an atmos receiver, thorough research is crucial. We started by immersing ourselves in the market, exploring various brands, models, and features. We scoured online forums, customer reviews, and expert opinions to gain a comprehensive understanding of the options available. By analyzing the market, we were able to identify the top contenders in terms of performance, reliability, and value for money.
One customer review we came across praised the Denon AVR-X4500H atmos receiver, stating, “The sound quality is simply outstanding. The Dolby Atmos feature creates an immersive audio experience, making me feel like I’m in a movie theater right in my living room.”
2. Comparing Features
To narrow down our selection, we carefully compared the features of different atmos receivers. We considered factors such as power output, number of channels, connectivity options, and compatibility with various audio formats. Our goal was to find receivers that offer a wide range of features while still being user-friendly and intuitive.
During our research, we discovered that the Yamaha RX-A3080 atmos receiver stood out with its impressive power output of 150 watts per channel and support for up to 9.2 channels. This receiver also offered advanced connectivity options, including Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and AirPlay, allowing users to seamlessly stream music from their devices.
3. Considering Value for Money
While performance and features are essential, we understand that value for money is also a significant factor for many buyers. We carefully analyzed the price-to-performance ratio of each atmos receiver to ensure that our recommendations provide the best bang for the buck.
One example of an atmos receiver that offers excellent value for money is the Pioneer VSX-LX503. It provides impressive audio performance, supports multiple channels, and offers advanced features like Chromecast built-in and DTS:X. All of this comes at a relatively affordable price compared to other high-end receivers on the market.
By conducting thorough market research, comparing features, and considering value for money, we were able to handpick the best atmos receivers available. Our goal is to help you make an informed decision and find the perfect receiver that will elevate your home theater experience to new heights.
💬 Frequently asked questions about atmos receivers
1. What is an Atmos receiver and why do I need one?
An Atmos receiver is a home theater audio device that is designed to deliver immersive and three-dimensional sound experiences. It is equipped with advanced audio processing technology that allows for the reproduction of sound from multiple directions, including above the listener.
Having an Atmos receiver is essential if you want to elevate your home theater setup to the next level. It adds a whole new dimension to your movies, music, and games, making you feel like you’re right in the middle of the action. With overhead speakers or upward-firing speakers, an Atmos receiver can create a truly immersive soundstage, with sounds coming from all around you. It brings depth and realism to the audio, enhancing your overall entertainment experience.
2. How do I choose the right Atmos receiver for my needs?
When choosing an Atmos receiver, there are several factors to consider. First, determine your budget and the specific features you require. Look for receivers that support the number of speakers you plan to use, as well as the audio formats you prefer, such as Dolby Atmos or DTS:X.
Additionally, pay attention to the power output of the receiver, as it will impact the audio quality and volume levels. Consider the connectivity options, including HDMI inputs and outputs, as well as wireless capabilities like Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. Finally, read reviews and compare different models to find one that suits your needs and has a reputation for reliability and performance.
3. Can I use my existing speakers with an Atmos receiver?
Yes, you can use your existing speakers with an Atmos receiver, but for the best experience, it is recommended to have speakers that are specifically designed for Atmos. These speakers are equipped with upward-firing drivers or built-in overhead speakers that allow for the accurate reproduction of height effects.
However, if you already have a surround sound speaker setup, you can still benefit from an Atmos receiver by adding additional speakers or modules that create the overhead sound effects. This way, you can enjoy the immersive audio experience without having to replace all of your existing speakers.
4. Do I need a separate amplifier for an Atmos receiver?
In most cases, an Atmos receiver has a built-in amplifier that is sufficient to power your speakers. However, if you have high-end or power-hungry speakers, you may consider using a separate amplifier to ensure optimal performance. A separate amplifier can provide more power and better control over the audio, resulting in improved sound quality.
5. How do I set up an Atmos receiver?
Setting up an Atmos receiver involves connecting your speakers, configuring the audio settings, and calibrating the system for optimal performance. It is recommended to follow the manufacturer’s instructions or consult a professional for assistance. Additionally, consider using an automatic calibration system, such as Audyssey or YPAO, which can analyze your room’s acoustics and adjust the audio settings accordingly. This will help ensure that you get the best sound experience possible.
Remember, investing in an Atmos receiver is an investment in your entertainment. It brings a new level of immersion and realism to your audio, making your favorite movies, music, and games come alive. So, choose wisely, set it up correctly, and get ready to be blown away by the power of sound.
Last update on 2023-09-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API